Monday, February 28, 2011

Actions Speak Louder ThanThings

"Not what you possess but what you do with what you have, determines your true worth."

-Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I have been taught since I was young that it's not what I have that makes me special, but how I act and present myself that determines my worth. Americans used to think that material possessions didn't really matter much, but now it seems that we are obsessed with owning the latest electronic device or wearing the latest designer outfit or even driving the nicest most expensive looking car. This may be the case for most Americans, but Thomas Carlyle is true with what he says.

Carlyle is saying that the way you present yourself and how you use the things you already have to benefit your life and other persons is really what matters. Most Americans think that the more they have then the more people will love and respect them, but that is not the case. People truly respect one another based on character.

If Americans would stop being obsessed with impressing people with material items, then that would solve the over consumption problem. Not as much things would be bought because Americans wouldn't be worried about impressing people with material items.

1 comment:

  1. Good point. I think we'd all agree. Sadly, few actually live by these words!

    ReplyDelete